Content supplied by Pekin Insurance
5 Reasons to Choose an Independent Insurance Agent Instead of Buying Online
3 min read
Trust the experts, your local independent insurance agents.
You do a quick online search for insurance. After that, digital ads follow you everywhere. They say you can buy coverage in a few minutes at rock-bottom prices. Do you get excellent service with these promises, though?
Have you thought about starting your search with an independent insurance agent? They’re experts who shop for you and give great advice.
Discover the drawbacks of buying online, and know the 5 reasons why you should work with an independent agent.
The Downside of Online Insurance
When you get quick online quotes, the low prices look great at first. Is it too good to be true?
Think about the short term versus the long term. Saving now doesn’t mean you’ll save later.
You could pay out of your own pocket if you don’t have enough coverage.
Here’s what we mean:
- State-minimum car insurance probably won’t cover property damage and medical bills if you cause a serious accident.
- A small life insurance policy doesn't account for student loan debt, car payments, mortgages, and ongoing living expenses.
- Having a replacement cost enhancement on your home insurance puts you in a better position if a fire or natural disaster destroys your house.
It's not all about money, though. You learn a lot more about your coverage when you have an expert ready to answer your questions.
5 Reasons to Choose an Independent Insurance Agent
1. Agents Ask the Right Questions
You go to an online insurance company for a quote. You answer a few quick questions.
Will a short form capture all your needs?
Think about these examples:
- A college graduate with $100,000 of student loan debt needs different life insurance than a retiree finalizing her estate plan.
- A five-bedroom house shouldn’t be insured the same as a one-bedroom starter house.
- The local coffee shop should have different business coverage than the huge retail store down the road.
You could be single, married, caring for your parents, or looking after disabled family members. You should have coverage to match these life situations.
Your independent agent pays attention to detail. They ask you the right questions and deliver personalized service.
2. Agents Offer One-Stop Shopping
Independent agencies offer a wide variety of coverages, including:
- Financial products
If you run a business, some agencies offer employee benefits like term life, accident insurance, and short-term disability.
Independent agents help you with all your coverage needs. Call them or send them a quick message, and they’ll go to work for you.
3. Agents Value-Hunt for You
Independent agents represent multiple insurance carriers. This lets them compare rates to track down the right coverage at the right price.
As a big added bonus, they know the ins and outs of discounts. They do everything in their power to find savings for you.
4. Agents Are Licensed
We’ll admit it: insurance policies aren’t always easy to read. Adding to that, coverages vary from state to state.
That’s why agents have to take an exam to earn an insurance license. This gives them the knowledge to interpret your policies and help you understand them.
5. Agents Are Local Businesspeople
You support a local business when you purchase a policy from an independent agency.
On top of that, independent agents donate to local charities, coach Little League teams, and go to school board meetings. It wouldn’t be surprising to find an agent on your town’s Chamber of Commerce.
Why do they do these things? Because independent agents know the importance of supporting the communities where they live and work.
Do you have questions about coverage for your life, home, car, or business?
Get in touch with your local independent agent. They’ll ask about your needs, offer one-stop shopping, and find the right coverage at the right price.